Saturday, December 10, 2011

Word Hero Book Review by ChristineMM




Title: Word Hero: A Fiendishly Clever Guide to Crafting the Lines that Get Laughs, Go Viral, and Live Forever

Author: Jay Heinricks

Publication: Three Rivers Press, October 2011


Star Rating: 5 Stars out of 5: I Love It

Summary Statement: Breaks Down Elements of Witty Writing & Teaches You How to Write Like That



I found this book interesting and engaging and anything but boring. Heinricks teaches techniques of witty writing which can be used in writing or blogging or in speech writing or as tidbits to add into any type of public speaking you may do. Also anyone who just likes to insert wit into conversations may enjoy this also.



The lead-up to each element is engaging, always witty (of course) and fast-paced. Giving examples from history, current events and even quotes from the current popular TV show, Glee, we read many examples of the type of witty writing that is being discussed in that section. Then the reader is given writing exercises to practice in order for us to flex their own writing muscles.



There really is no way to improve one’s writing without writing, so I appreciated that the author not only teaches us this type of writing by providing us with text to read, but he also directs us with writing exercises to do on our own. I feel that by just reading this book a reader would not transform into suddenly being witty: you really have to do the work and practice.



Although I’m a clear writer and can write both technical process and persuasive writing, I definitely am not a witty writer. Witty thinking does not come naturally to me. My mind doesn’t think like that so I appreciated wit being broken down and dissected by Heinricks. I kept thinking, “Oh! I see how they did that! I can do that if I just tried!”



I appreciate that so much information is packed into this one inexpensive book. If anyone were to do all this writing it would probably equal a full college course’s worth of writing.



Anyone who thinks writing and the writing process is boring should give this type of writing a try. Actually everyone’s writing may be improved by working through this book. I recommend this book for interested writers aged 12 and up. (Teaching middle and high school students to write this way may actually get some of them more interested in writing.)



Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from Amazon.com’s Vine program. I was not paid to write the review nor was I under obligation to write a favorable review. I was not paid or mandated to post this review on my blog. For my blog’s full disclosure statement see the link near the top of my blog’s sidebar.

1 comment:

Crimson Wife said...

I had been hoping to pick this book up through Vine but it was gone by the time I tried. I'll have to see if I can request it through my library.