Saturday, December 17, 2011

Some Advice I Received About Homeschooling and School

I met someone the other day who asked about our move to Texas. In a very short summary I explained the sudden move, the packing, the renting of a temporary house, the ice dam claim on our house, me dealing with house renovations and the insurance claim, more work to make the house nicer for potential buyers, the house not selling right away as was thought (based on what the real estate agent said), our poor air conditioning and heating system in this rental house and that we are homeschooling all the while.

I was asked how I did not get sick or go crazy. I said I didn't know but I felt that I could use a vacation.

I was told, "You should take a pill".

(For the record, I have not taken any pills to help me through this. I've also not self-medicated with alcohol or food treats.)

I was told "just throw your kids in school so you can relax".

I have considered schooling options based on ease for me. I am not sure that I'd completely relax if my kids were in school. Yes, I'd have less responsibility but I'd have other things to deal with which would be stressful.

My kid's education is not "all about me" or my ease. I'm just trying to do what is right and best for my kids. I have said it before and I'll say it again. If school ever seems better than what is happening in our homeschool we will use it.

2 comments:

Xa Lynn said...

We say that here, too. We revisit the whole issue every summer, and so far we are still homeschooling. Some days are less sane than others...

Xa Lynn

Tina Hollenbeck said...

Amen! Of course, I can't ever envision school being better than home, and my favorite homeschool quote is, "The worst day of homeschooling beats the best day of public school - any day." It'd be nice if others at least accepted our decision instead of trying to convince us otherwise.