Saturday, September 17, 2011

Catching Fire Book Review by ChristineMM




Title: Catching Fire (book 2 in The Hunger Games trilogy)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: Young Adult Fiction

My Star Rating: 5 stars out of 5 = I Love It

Summary Statement: Second Book in the Trilogy - An Engaging Exciting Page Turner - Loved It

Catching Fire is the second book in The Hunger Games trilogy, a dystopian fiction young adult book which has crossed over to be enjoyed by adults, and a movie based on The Hunger Games is to be released in 2012.

My review will not contain spoilers so it will be shorter than I would typically write. At the end of The Hunger Games we are left knowing the Capitol hates Katniss Everdeen and we wonder if they may seek revenge or how the rest of her life may turn out. What happens, the way the Capitol seeks to get revenge on Katniss is horrifying and was surprising to me, so I'll not spoil it for you either. Catching Fire takes place the year after Katniss participated in The Hunger Games, and the 75th Hunger Games are to be held that upcoming year.

Catching Fire is just as exciting and action filled as The Hunger Games. It is a fast read, engaging and a real page turner. As the book goes on we see a darker side of the Capitol and we see revolution spreading among the districts.

The book has a great ending and it left me wondering what was in store for the third and last book in the trilogy. I was so happy with the first two books I could not wait to get my hands on the third book, titled Mockingjay.

Although the main character of the book is female that does not prevent male teenaged readers from enjoying this series. (My thirteen year old son loves the trilogy.) This is not a girlie book. This book is excellent for reluctant readers and any reader who likes exciting, fast paced reads. This series continues to be an excellent hero's journey tale. I am so happy that Catching Fire lived up to The Hunger Games.

I rate this book 5 stars = I Love It.

Disclosure: I purchased this book. For my blog's full disclosure statement see the link near the top of my blog's sidebar.

2 comments:

KHAIRU DHANANI said...

Thanks for the review ...:) will surely read .

Crimson Wife said...

I loved the first 2 books in The Hunger Games trilogy but didn't care as much for Mockingjay. I've talked to a number of other fans of the series who felt the same way. I don't know if Suzanne Collins got sick of writing the series by the end of the 3rd book or what, but it isn't nearly as good as the first 2.