Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Funny Homeschool Question

The other day a young grocery store cashier asked my eleven year old if he was ready to go back to school. He replied yes but said he was actually homeschooled.  She asked if he liked it and he said yes. The funniest question came next: "Do you ever get bored?"

My son said no. I then replied that our problem is we are too busy running around and doing too many things to ever get bored. She looked at me with surprise. She didn't seem to believe me.

Well, that was true for our established lives in Connecticut. Here in Texas I am still looking for opportunites for this fall. So far in Texas we are kind of shut-in's but it has nothing to do with homeschooling. We have been unpacking and stuck here waiting for deliveries and repair people. This week we have more free time but I am trying to wrap up basic unpacking and have already begun planning out our homeschool year.

Both kids are begging to not do group classes. They both say they want to meet friends but they are wary of other homeschoolers here. They swear they want to do their learning at home with me. If I let that happen it will be like back in the very early elementary grades. I am very much in favor of group learning as I think there are good things about learning with a non-parent teacher and about learning to work in a group and to deal with the kind of adversity that comes with classroom group learning.

I want to honor my kid's requests and listen to their desires but on the other hand they are already saying they are lonely and they are getting stir crazy. They want new friends. I also don't think that I want to teach them every single class as both boys, especially my fourteen year old, need to answer to some authority that is not their mom sometimes. As of right now I have agreed to do it their way but we may regret it later on in this semester.

I am still trying to line up sports and Boy Scouts for both kids so they can have those fun activities and make friends there.

2 comments:

kentuckycontessa said...

I can relate so well to this post! I am an Army wife who is in my second year of homeschooling my 11 year old son. We live in Kentucky but had to start the school year in Georgia, as we are trying to get hubby set up in an apartment near Fort Benning. Not for the faint of heart!

Roman said...

I know what you mean!

I am getting ready to start my second year of homeschooling in California. I am the only one in my neighborhood with boys who homeschools. My boys (8 & 11) love it, especially having gone to public school for a couple of years. I love it because not only do I feel that I have a better relationship with my boys, but I am sure they are learning much more. I do worry about them having less friends, less day-to-day interaction with other kids their age, though. However, to be honest, I wasn't all that thrilled with the ones they had at school! I would like for them to have more quality "guy time." I am trying to find more homeschool families in the area. It's not easy, but it will get done.

Hang in there on the move! It is a big change from CT to TX! And thanks for the blog. It has been reassuring to know that someone else out there thinking the same things I do.