Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Plan B for the Move

A real estate agent who we probably will hire is pushing for Plan B for the move. Actually she has two ideas on the table which further complicates matters.

The first plan is that I should pack up and the kids and I should move out by July 1. We should rent an apartment, condo or small home (because that's affordable) in Texas and leave. After we are gone we should replace some carpet and paint some walls and ceilings and do other small home repairs so the house looks closer to perfect. Then list the house and begin showing it.

Although it is said a home with furniture shows better than one without it we have a challenge in that it will be hard for me to live with two messy teens who eat constantly, and keep the litter box cleaned up after two cats, and to live our normal lives while doing the redecorating then later to show the house in great condition. To just move our stuff around in order to paint ceilings will be difficult and more time consuming for the workers. We are trying to beat the clock to get the house on the market ASAP to get a buyer in before the school year starts, which is actually just two and a half months away.

After considering this for almost a week, we have decided we are probably going to do that. If nothing else it gets us back together as a family.

Her second idea involved finding a home on the market to sell and to propose to the buyer that we rent it for a year then if we like it enough and like that area we'd buy it, and not move twice. The challenge with that is that in addition to decluttering and packing and winding up the year-end activities we have I'd have to house shop for something that is 1700 miles away. How does one do that?

Now instead of just decluttering my house to make it look nicer for showing I am also packing. I'm not just packing, I'm making decisions on what to pack to use in an apartment for the next six months (at least) versus what can be put into a storage facility for future use (i.e. the formal dining room furniture, the china, the crystal, extra homeschool books and so forth).

My current challenge is to do a good job with labeling the boxes so I know what is where and whether the box goes to the apartment or into storage.

I have booked a flight to Houston to visit my husband in June (leaving the kids with relatives and friends in Connecticut). I'm going to have four days to house hunt and apartment hunt. I hope to leave with a sense of which Houston area I'd like to live in permanently, based on the appeal of the area visually (i.e. I need trees), garden-potential, commute time and what parks and other things are available.

So, we'll see what happens when I'm in Texas later this month!

8 comments:

Kay said...

Plan B sounds great! That's what we did when my husband got a job across the country. (I won't tell you how long it took our house to sell, it will just depress you.) Apartment living is hard, but the nice part is you have you weekends free from lawn work to go out and explore the new area. Also, being with your husband will be great and the kids can get settled and you can get them enrolled in homeschool stuff there! But I don't envy you the presort to moving. Best of Luck!

KC said...

Hi, Sorry, the previous comment (Kay's loosing weight)was from me. I forgot I was signed in under a different account than usual. This is my usual blog comment account. sigh.... I'm assuming you can edit comments? Is there any way you can copy and paste the first one into this one? Or if not, just read it and enjoy it and don't publish either???? This is the problem of staying up when I'm overly tired. Thanks! :)

ChristineMM said...

From KC: Plan B sounds great! That's what we did when my husband got a job across the country. (I won't tell you how long it took our house to sell, it will just depress you.) Apartment living is hard, but the nice part is you have you weekends free from lawn work to go out and explore the new area. Also, being with your husband will be great and the kids can get settled and you can get them enrolled in homeschool stuff there! But I don't envy you the presort to moving. Best of Luck!

ChristineMM said...

Thank you to everyone who has been supportive by leaving comments lately. I am so busy I'm not responding to them. IT means a lot to me that you are encouraging me. Thanks again.

K said...

Let me know when you are going to be in Houston. I have a good friend who is a teacher and is therefore off for the summer. She has lived in Houston all her life and there isn't anyone who knows it better. I'll ask her if I can give you her info, if you'd like.
You can do this.
I flew down here on a Monday looked at houses on Tuesday and Wednesday, Chris came on Thursday and we signed a contract on Friday. In hindsight I wished we had rented and built but I was pregnant and alone in CT preparing and showing a house with 6 kids, a dog and three guinea pigs...all of which had to get packed up and leave for showings. I've said, and I mean, that I'm not moving again until it is in a casket :D or all the kids are gone.

My summer is INSANE so I doubt I'll catch up with you until the school year but at the very least I am in Houston every April for a weekend.

Hope said...

We are trying to move cross country as well so I feel your pain. Do you read the City Data Forums? There is one per state, and then they are broken down by city. We moved to TX (Fort worth) from Australia and posted a lot of questions on the forum while we were house hunting. You could post in the Houston section and I am sure the locals would steer you to the best neighborhood. Or read the existing posts as folks are always asking "where should we live?" Good luck on the sale and move.

Crimson Wife said...

Long-distance house-hunting is hard, but virtual tours can help you narrow down homes to visit while you're in TX. Good luck!

Ina's 5 and our Native Homeschool Blog said...

Beat of luck on your move and sort. I found a dumpster helped me sort. I only moved across a park, a Ross country sounds overwhelming but your and sound great!