Monday, June 20, 2011

My First Homeschool Support Network

The most supportive and informative support network for me in the pre-homeschooling and early homeschooling years was not an organization of people, it was books! I entered the homeschooling scene just before the Internet took off.

Local libraries do not typically have books about homeschooling so I wound up having to buy books in order to read them. I decided to photograph my homeschool book collection before I culled it to reduce my collection.

Shown here is one half of my desk which has a bookcase that holds books about home education and some about learning issues. There are some autism spectrum books here due to my curiosity and attempt to understand the condition (as my nephew has severe autism and some kids we know are on the spectrum).

When I sit at my computer this is the workstation to my right. When I have needed information or to feel supported or not isolated in our home education journey often all I had to do was look to these shelves and just the spines with their titles reassured me that some people know homeschooling can be fantastic and good for kids. I have read most of these books cover to cover though at one point and some serve as references which I refer to on an as needed basis (so I plan to keep more than half of these books). (Not shown is the other half of my desk which contains books in general education, education reform, and reference materials i.e. book list books. Maybe I'll photograph those soon.) If you are curious to read the spines to see my books, you can double click on the photo and it will enlarge on your screen.









4 comments:

Love 2B Homeschoolers said...

Wow, you've done some extensive reading. And purchasing! I've been lucky that most of what I'd like to read I can get through inter-library loans if my own public library doesn't have what I'm looking for.

Why doubles of some things?

ChristineMM said...

Hi C,
The Well Trained Mind is original and then revised/expanded. I am selling the old one today at a used curriculum sale, but I kept it for a while as the books and curric recc in the 2 books are different to reflect what went out of print since 1st ed was printed.

I have doubles of 2 Holt books bc I first owned his original then was given copies of the expanded versions with Pat Farenga's edits.

I think those are the only duplicates I had/have.

ChristineMM said...

The photos overlap so it might look like I have doubles when really there is just one.

christinethecurious said...

Good for you - it's hard to purge books that were helpful - even if you are moving!

I'm so thankful for my library system; SAILS. We have about 50 libraries linked up together, we can put books on interlibrary loan right from our homes over the internet - and they actually carry many homeschooling books and even books published by Christian presses - sometimes I think I have to buy everything, but I can usually look it over from somewhere in the library system first.

I hope your library in Texas is more like mine.

Christine in Mass