Thursday, June 09, 2011

1981 Rape Victim Advice

Tonight I was going through a box of saved papers and found a diary of mine from fall of my freshman year in high school, when I was 14 years old.

Here is one thing that shocked me.

November 15, 1981

"We stayed after for Girl Scouts. Officer S.K. (of our town's police department) gave us a lecture about rape and what to do. Summary: go along with the guy. Don't try to punch him, poke him, kick him, or stop him."

If my memory serves me right the advice has since changed. I recall hearing any time we are being attacked, mugged, or attempted to be raped we should scream at the top of our lungs, scream to stop, scream that we're trying to be raped or robbed, scratch, kick, spit, and do anything we can do to try to stop the process of our being victimized.

3 comments:

Crystal Jeffers said...

Wow that is certainly different advice. Heck as a kid in the 80s I was always told to scream and run if possible, But I grew up in downtown San Jose California. I think it really kind of depended on the department and what they thought was safest for girls.

At-Home Mama said...

Oh wow, this is crazy. It's amazing to see how things change over time, changes in society's perception and attitudes. Thanks for sharing.

Xa Lynn said...

That "advice" makes me want to kick, stomp, spit, bite and scream at the people who gave it.

Xa Lynn