Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Northern Flicker Seen

My thirteen year old son looked out the front window and exclaimed, "Mom! Come quick! Look at that bird!"

I ran to see then dashed to grab my camera and began shooting through the window's glass.





I decided to try to get a clearer shot and opened the front door which startled the bird. It flew to the oak tree. Using my 300 mm lens I shot this. It didn't like being out in the open so it stayed just a few seconds, I was only able to take this one photo.



I didn't know what type of bird this was and researched it on the Internet. This is the first time I've ever seen this bird and I've identified it as a Northern Flicker. When I heard the call on the Cornell website I was happy because I've been wondering what bird makes that sound for years. I hear the Norther Flickers often while in my yard.

As part of the homeschool lifestyle after I figured this out I shared the info with the son who was home at the time (including the sound recording). Later on I talked it over with my younger son who was there for the "in real life" viewing.

Photos taken by ChristineMM on 5/07/11 in Fairfield County, Connecticut.

2 comments:

Wmoon said...

I think most homeschoolers are more aware of their surroundings. Everything is about learning, well for my family it is. Aww...this can become a math example this can become an science project! I love when nature just throws us a learning projects.

ChristineMM said...

Comment from Wmoom with spam link deleted from body of comment:

I think most homeschoolers are more aware of their surroundings. Everything is about learning, well for my family it is. Aww...this can become a math example this can become an science project! I love when nature just throws us a learning projects.