Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How to Make a Mind Map Video Tutorial






I am in the process of learning about how to make a mind map. I was going to say I am teaching myself so I can teach my thirteen year old but the truth is we're learning along

side each other. I had him watch this with me after watching a couple of less helpful video tutorials.

The spark came from a blog reader's comment a couple of months ago combined with the fact that mind mapping is briefly taught in a book I'm reading: Study Smarter Not Harder.

I would be willing to buy one of Tony Buzan's books  on the topic of mind mapping if someone can guide me as to which of his many books on this one topic is the best one to buy. I'm not sure why so many books are published on the same topic. The most recent book was out of stock on Amazon when I tried to buy it there so I'm holding off on the purchase for now. (My first inclination was to just buy the most recent one.)

Let me know if you have an opinion on any of Tony Buzan's books.

I'm tempted to put in an interlibrary loan request but that can take up to six weeks and I'm not that patient. Actually the main reason we're working on this now is to help my son master some concepts for a Science Olympiad event which takes place in about five weeks so we can't wait an indefinate amount of time.


Update: After writing this post my son and I each created our first mind map. We learned some things by doing. I think the benefit of mind mapping is that we really had to think about what was important and that included searching our  memories for what we knew already then referencing the textbook for more information to add. The benefit of this is probably the thinking and organizing the thoughts part not just looking at the finished product. Tomorrow I will blog some photos of the first mind maps. I am still wondering what I'd learn from a whole book on the topic...
Disclosure: I bought the book mentioned here. For my blog's full disclosure statement see the link at the top of my blog's sidebar.

1 comment:

Fairy network work from home - Butterfly Lullaby said...

Hi Christine

I adore your Mind Map it is so artistic and creative. I am trying to do a few mind maps as you know life as a Mum (Mom) is pretty hectic and thinking about all the things I need to do makes me dizzy. So a huge big Mind Map poster is what I need.

If you get time have a look at my Mothers Mind Map I have created. I have just entered the Euro News Business competition in the hope to get the IT support I need to push my ideas forward. I am a struggling Mother like most and refuse to give into it. I can see a bright future for all our children when I get this website up and running. Have a look and tell me what you think of my ideas. I am dyslexic but creative. So I have not started from the middle as I should. I believe sharing is caring! So thank you for sharing your ideas.
http://butterflylullaby.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/mothers-mind-map.html

I will have to read more of your blog and add you as a friend, that is if you do not mind?

Fairy wishes and dreams
Sharon