Thursday, January 27, 2011

Delicious French Breakfast Muffins Recipe



While snowed in I decided to try this new-to-me muffin recipe: French Breakfast Muffins. Upon coming in from sledding, my sons and the neighbor boys devoured these with a two-thumbs up approval rating. I agree, they are delicious.

I adapted the recipe from Maine's Jubilee Cookbook: Generations of Good Eating. The original recipe was contributed by Mrs. Thyrle Hanson of Wesley, Maine, and is found on page 38.

French Breakfast Muffins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease muffin pan or put paper liners in the muffin pan or use the aluminum and paper disposable cups.

For muffins:

1/3 cup butter at room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
1/2 cup milk

For topping:

1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted

Cream butter and sugar with electric mixer. Then add egg.

Put mixer on low and about half of the dry ingredients and then half of the milk, then the rest of the dry ingredients and the rest of the milk. Mix until thoroughly blended.

Spoon dough into muffin tins.

Bake until golden brown on top, about 25-30 minutes.

Let cool in pan for a few minutes then remove.

When muffins are cool enough to be handled, melt the butter. Then dip the whole top of the muffin in melted butter then roll in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.

They taste like a cake, similar in taste to a crumb cake but without the large crumbs on top. The flavor of the cinnamon and nutmeg is throughout the muffin instead of just on top. They're delicious.

Enjoy!

Photo copyright ChristineMM, 2011.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I'm going to try this! Sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing. I love trying out new recipes, and my kids love it when I do as well!

ChristineMM said...

I forgot the cinnamon in the topping ingredient list, just fixed it...

enjoy...

Misty said...

Yummy! I must try these.