Sunday, December 19, 2010

Learning About NARHS

This fall a local homeschooling mother shared that she is using North Atlantic Regional High School for her two children (in grade 7 and 9). She explained the logbook and the way the family documents the student's work to me.

I have been looking into this. NAHRS is a private school in Maine who offers a (real high school) diploma to students who document their studies and submit them for approval. If you are curious about NARHS they have a free video to watch online (23 minutes long). This is not an umbrella school.

The appeal to me to use NAHRS is that it would force me to keep a detailed logbook of work accomplished. (I got sloppy about that in the 2009-2010 school year and again this last fall).

I am also interested in NAHRS because it would qualify my sons to apply for certain college scholarships that require a high school diploma.

I have requested their free 99 page book (sent by email) about NARHS to learn more. After I filled out the form online they emailed me a link to download the document free online. I already began reading it.

After a discussion with my husband he said he thinks NARHS is a good idea but it's not in our budget until a job is landed. Given their age rules my son who is 13 at present and who I consider in eighth grade could actually enroll into high school for this academic year. Or, I could apply real high school level studies to his transcript and consider him a middle schooler too. The appeal for this is he has been doing high school level work for biology and physics and Algebra I.

1 comment:

Jazzie Casas said...

Hello I'm a single mom of 3 age 3,7 and 9. I find your site so interesting and helpful. I hope I have much time each day to drop by and check your site for recent post. By the way thank you for sharing this.