Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dry Aging Beef

This year yet again my husband dry aged our prime rib roast beef which was our Christmas Day meal. Dry aging removes some of the water and concentrates the flavor. Sometimes non-dry aged beef has an almost bland or tasteless flavor (if no strong spices or marinates are used) but dry aging totally changes that flavor and makes it more rich and gives it more flavor.

The instructions are from the Cook's Illustrated December 1995 magazine issue. (Each year I buy only the hardbound year-end edition as a gift to my husband.) We have learned a lot from Cook's Illustrated magazine (and I don't even read all of it)! I learn a lot from hearing the 'why' behind things and enjoy reading about trials of different methods and which worked best and why.

This is so simple to do. You basically put the roast in the refrigerator (uncovered) and let it sit there. Prior to cooking the dried up parts or any funky-ness is removed with a knife. I highly recommend the instructions in Cook's Illustrated. (And making prime rib at home is super simple and much much less expensive than buying it in restaurants.)

Here are some photos that may get the beef lovers salivating.

Our seven pound roast, after dry aging, before trimming:




Carving the roast.




On my dinner plate!


1 comment:

polkadotsuitcase said...

Dear Christine,

I came over from your Amazon review page, and got caught up reading your blog! As a fellow mom to boys (about the same age), I can relate to much of your adventures here.

Would it be possible for you to contact me? I have a question I'd like to run past you, off your blog.

Thanks!
Kate