Thursday, October 28, 2010

Victor Kill Mouse Trap Product Review

Product Name: Victor M265 Kill & Seal Mouse Trap 2 Pack

Full Retail Price: $9.95 for a box of 2 traps

My Summary Statement: Love - Hate Relationship with the Trap

My Rating: 3 Stars






I live in the woods where field mice enter homes in order to take up residence in a more warm and cozy locale for the winter season. Dealing with mice trying to live in the unfinished attic, unfinished basement or inside the walls accessed by either is an ongoing challenge for us and everyone in our neighborhood.

To make matters worse I live in Connecticut and my town has a high incidence of Lyme Disease, spread by infected deer ticks (33% of the deer ticks analyzed from my town carry the spirochete). The main carrier of deer ticks are mice, not deer, although we have an overpopulation of deer also. The fear is that mice come inside to overwinter in warm temperatures, and carry with them infected deer ticks which stay alive through winter rather than going dormant in cold temps. Then the deer ticks can infect the family living in the house. The question is, if the mice are killed by poison, glue pads or traditional traps; do the deer ticks or other nasty parasites walk away looking for a new host?

Before ordering this product I watched the marketing video on this site and was horrified. It should win an award for inciting fear and disgust.

We have also suffered with the consequences of using D-Con in the past, although effective, we had a terrible odor of decomposing mouse bodies for almost a month. The time it was in my bedroom wall was the absolute worst. Other plastic traps and the old wooden and metal traps rarely work for us. The glue pads worked twice but I also once accidentally stepped on one, gluing both shoes together and causing me to fall over when I tried to walk and had not realized my feet were glued together! It took pliers and about five minutes of pulling to get that darned thing off the soles of my Dansko clogs! I watch my step now when going into the attic and under the eaves storage places!

The idea that this type of trap would lure in a mouse and close up, trapping it and any nasty parasites on its body inside was tempting. The downside is it is expensive ($5 each trap) compared to the often used poison pellets and that it is a one time use of plastic which some consumers would not like for environmental reasons.

The directions with the product stink, just teeny tiny illustrations on the box. My husband went online to look for better directions and found none, so he used his common sense to set the traps. His frustration over the poor directions tainted his opinion that these were easy to set.

The traps are set and await their victims. If they ever work I will update this review with that information. It's October, the cold has set in, and it's been a couple of weeks and so far the traps have not been triggered; whether that's for lack of victims or malfunction of the trap is something I don't yet know.




Disclosure: I received one two pack of traps for a product review from Amazon Vine. I was not paid to write this review nor was I expected to write a positive review. For my blog's full disclosure statement see the link near the top of my blog's sidbar.

2 comments:

Em Hawes said...

Did these ever catch anything? If the timing is such that you catch two mice for ten dollars that would have been parents before the babies are old enough to survive, then I guess it's more cost effective than later, but if there is a single mouse there is a nest (a single mouse will have a nest for sleeping), and I wonder about the ticks and eggs in the nest in your walls? I also think that once there is a dead critter in the walls then it will not only stink for awhile, but will also stink again several times when the humidity rises, until all the organic material is gone.
I had good success with a system of poisoned cotton in tubes that the mice took back to the nest. It was an adaptation of a system developed and sold by a northern university. The years I used a tick poison that wasn't as hard on the mice were more successful than the year I used one that killed them and their babies or made them sick... they stopped taking my cotton for their nests! I had to wait for the later generations to unlearn the aversion. This worked to cut way back on deer ticks on the mice, the deer, in the grass, and made life outdoors tennable again. I suspect it also would help inside the home (I just live trap the mice and put them outside far from my home)... So, I guess I'm a softie, but I'm also very into whatever really Works!

ChristineMM said...

I used them and never caught anything so they were thrown into the trash. What a waste of materials.