Monday, September 20, 2010

A Sense of Relief

Two days ago the decision was made and I made the phone call. Despite temptation I scaled back the selections for my kids to take classes at the new homeschool co-op.

This is the one that really had me worried and stressed, the one that went from concept to reality. The one that expanded from one day to three. Its focus went from a place for teens and high schoolers to having 3/4 of the kids below grade 8, going right on down to age five. It went from the idea of hiring private tutors and subject matter experts to teach things beyond our personal scope to having some offerings by homeschool moms, and me being asked to teach.

My goal is for my older son to take classes there, my younger son's activities there are not the priority. I am committing to one day only and then only classes that satisfy core academic requirements (that's none so far) or are team prep classes and activities for Science Olympiad.

I can't tell you how relieved I feel knowing we will have more time to concentrate on core academics. I feel light and free and unencumbered.

In November and December when other outside activities finish for the semester I will evaluate which of those must drop to make even more time our own.

After all the thinking I did in recent blog posts I figured I owed my readers an update, so there you go.

Yesterday was a Sunday and our family spent the day in Manhattan. It was good and refreshing to get out of the house and away from our usual family routines.

I have a renewed sense of courage and a sense of calm about our choice to homeschool and feel enthusiastic about the various choices we have. The worry over how to homeschool high school for a kid with some learning disabilities seeking an engineering degree is very small now. It will cause me worry and stress in the future I'm sure but at this moment I'm feeling capable and enthusiastic.

1 comment:

Ina's 5 and our Native Homeschool Blog said...

Glad to hear you are less stressed and happy with your choices