Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pre-Algebra Plan Decided Upon

I have been struggling to decide what curriculum to use for prep before Algebra 1. Note my careful selection of words there.

I am not happy with Pre-Algebra curriculums. The first half of the year seems to be review of K-7 math (everything) then the second half is the easiest, beginning part of Algebra I. I'm not interested in review and repetition of stuff already mastered. I also don't want to spend (waste) a full year on that endeavor. I expect this can be gotten through in two-four months.

I cannot find a curriculum that is right or perfect as I am trying to use a designed-for-all program with a unique student. (Honestly all students are unique.)

I have made a plan. Note I did not say I found a curriculum.

The plan is I am going to survey all my (to be) eighth grader's math concepts. Gaps will be taught by ME using various curricula (whatever works). Once the review is done and I feel he has mastered it all or reviewed it to refresh his memory and that he's ready, he will plunge into Algebra I in this eighth grade year.

I'll figure out what curricula he's using later. At present I'm seriously investigating Art of Problem Solving using the textbooks and perhaps their online classes. I want to find a best fit for this son who is a very right brained (visual spatial) type learner. Most math programs are very left brained approaches that take something simple and make it very hard for a person whose mind works in another way to learn from.

The long-term goal for this son is before college attendance for an engineering major to have completed:

Algebra I
Algebra II
Geometry
Trigonometry
Pre-Calculus
Calculus I

We have five years until this boy starts college. It is hard to believe. Suddenly time feels like it is flying. The pressure is on.

2 comments:

Headmistress, zookeeper said...

This post (I think you managed two links in this carnival, or am I conflating two Thinking Mothers?) is in the 239th Carnival of Homeschooling, history of home education edition, which now is up at The Common Room, http://tw0.us/LUJ My theme is 'the history of homeschooling in America.' It was very interesting to research and I learned some fascinating things along the way (do you know why we have age segregated classrooms in America?).

Please pay us a visit, and reciprocate in the publicity the carnival brings you by passing along the link along so others can visit as well.

Please consider other ways to spread the news about the carnival as well- the more people who visit the carnival, the more link-love you get- If you have a facebook account, you could pass on the link there (fb doesn't like tiny url links, so here's the long one: http://heartkeepercommonroom.blogspot.com/2010/07/carnival-of-homeschooling-239.html, and if you have a twitter account, please tweet!

Thanks!

Susan Cruz said...

Hi Christine!

I would like to send you an email, but was unable to find an email address for you. I wanted to let you know about a great reading program you and your reader may be interested in knowing about.

If you can email me at susan@tengoldenrules.com it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Susan