Sunday, July 18, 2010

Need Help with Homeschoolers Scripps National Spelling Bee

I can't find info on the Scripps National Spelling Bee site about how homeschoolers register, or what may differ for homeschoolers from school rules. This is the only page I could find which is not helpful. I also searched using a search engine and couldn't find anything with specific information on competing.

If someone can help me, I'd really appreciate it.

This is yet another new project that I have taken responsibility for starting in fall 2010.

My younger son has been asking to do this for years. This is the first year he is old enough to participate. However due to busy-ness I'd not researched it until now.

Help!

4 comments:

Crimson Wife said...

Here in CA, homeschoolers have to find a bee willing to accept homeschooled children. The one sponsored by the SF Chronicle does not allow individual HS students to participate. In order for them to be eligible, they have to first win a bee with at least 6 other participants. The virtual charters and private ISP's usually host bees for their students. Some HS support groups have them as well.

I would find out who sponsors your regional bee and contact them for eligibility requirements for HS students.

Good luck!

christinemm said...

Thanks Crimson Wife. I know only one group in CT (my state) and they did it as a freestanding group. I have an email out to her to ask her, we'll see what happens. CT and CA HS law is so different it would not surprise me if the Bee rules were different also.

LivingByLearning said...

Here is the blog for our local homeschool spelling bee:

http://homeschoolbee.blogspot.com/

It includes the email for our organizer. She should be able to answer all your questions.

christinemm said...

Thanks LivingbyLearning!
I got an email response today from the CT contact. Right now it seems my work will be less than I thought. I will check your contact info too. Thank you again.