Sunday, April 25, 2010

Stinging Nettle



Stinging Nettle, Urtica dioica, a wild herb plant that is edible and has medicinal properties.  There are thin needles on the stems and leaves, double click on the photo to enlarge.

While on a nature walk with my twelve year old son at the site of his wilderness school (a homeschool program) I asked him to show me some stinging nettle as I've never seen it in real life. Well, I might have seen it in my garden path last year but I'm not sure. He knew right where it was (taught to him by his naturalist teachers).

Photo taken 4/22/10 by ChristineMM in Fairfield County, Connecticut.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I have heard that if you drink nettle tea and if you pour nettle tea over your hair as a "last" rinse in the shower it will help to encourage your natural hair color to come back in and slowly eliminate gray hair. I have yet to try it, but Nettle keeps coming up in my life.....maybe it's about time to try it. LOL! Great pics by the way!

bethany said...

I enjoyed reading your blog, take a look at mine :) http://TheTeachersPugalier.com