Monday, April 19, 2010

The Raw Milk Revolution Book Review by ChristineMM



The Raw Milk Revolution Book Review by ChristineMM

Title: The Raw Milk Revolution: Behind America's Emerging Battle Over Food Rights

My Rating: 5 Stars out of 5 = I Love It

Summary Statement: A Very Important Book About Food Rights. Now Can Someone Make a Documentary Movie Tie-In Please?

My primary interest in this book is the issue of food rights and government regulation of the foods we consumers are able to purchase. As a homeschooling parent I have similar issues regarding my children’s education (parts of this book could have substituted the word ‘homeschooling’ for ‘raw milk’ and the issues and arguments were identical). Secondarily I wanted to learn more about the opinions on wellness and health related to consumption of raw milk (pro and con). Thirdly, I have concerns about how government regulations seem to be squeezing out small farms in favor of large corporations and wondered how this book may touch upon that topic.

This is a detailed, serious nonfiction book. As I read it, I found if I started to skim it or if I didn’t pay attention enough I got lost and had to go back and re-read pages so it makes sense. Only the most dedicated reader will read every word of this book, I think.

This is that it is an important book FOR THOSE WHO CARE AND ARE INTERESTED enough in the topic to put the time in to read this thoroughly. It shows the real issue that is going on with the U.S. government and food regulation. Consumer freedom is being stifled due to state regulations some of which are nonsensical. Test results and specimen collection is sometimes suspect.

I’m a good reader and this was not a fast easy read for me. The book contains lots of legal information and so many details (the author David Gumpert is a reporter). I have been wondering if this book could have been shortened or simplified to make it faster to read or to just get to the point faster but I bet Gumpert feared that leaving out certain details, the reader would miss the issue or not get the complete picture. The problem is the government, its inspectors and the laws hang on details of what happened, so details are what are necessary to make some of the points. Others who want to understand or already understand these issues may love that so much detail is in this book.

I personally appreciate having learned some of the new things. I already knew some of this stuff from my past work in the medical field or from previous reading I’ve done on these topics.

I wish this book would be made into a documentary movie which would be more dumbed down than the book and would be on the level with FOOD INC and KING CORN. More people need to hear this information and I worry that not everyone will take the time and energy to read this book. Documentary movies can be powerful communicators, getting big messages across in two hours or less. Visuals and video interviews can make a large impact on viewers. Please make a documentary out of this material!















Disclosure: I received an advance review copy of this book from the Amazon Vine program for publication on the Amazon.com site. I also purchased a copy of this book. I did not get paid to write this review or to post the review on my blog. For my blog's full disclosure statement see the link at the top of my blog's sidebar.