Friday, November 27, 2009

Latest Knitting Projects & Fairy Names

On the Jane Thornley forum at Ravelry.com I saw a new knit-a-long to custom design a free-range knitting project based on our fairy name and characteristics from a Fairy Name generator.

Here's my fairy name:

Your fairy is called Thorn Hailfly

She is a protector of the lonely.
She lives in brambles and blackberry bushes.
She is only seen at midday under a quiet, cloudless sky.
She wears purple and green like berries and leaves. She has cheery turquoise wings like a butterfly.
Get your free fairy name here!

I'm not sure if I'll participate or not. If I don't the reason is I don't like the color purple! I do love blackberries and that shade is so dark it's almost black. So I'm pondering this.

I have a 25% off coupon for all yarns at a local yarn shop. I need a couple of skeins for the knitting project I hope to start later today. Now I'm tempted to also shop for yarns to do this Fairy Name Knit-a-long.

Update: I did visit the local yarn shop and found dark purples like ripe blackberries and some greens like moss or lichen. I found a cool blended yarn with greens and some medium purples which I think I'll be able to tolerate. I forgot the printout of the description and my memory was wrong, I thought it said the sky was cloudy. I chose sky colors of light grays and some dark grey stormy looking colors. I bought enough yarn for that project, all for 25% off full retail.

The other knitting project I had planned to start today is the Jane Thornley (scroll down to see) Knit-a-Beach free-range knitting pattern (a vest). I am going to use as my inspiration, autumn's marsh (near the sea) grasses, sand dunes and dune plants of Cape Cod in November rather than a summer beach. My photos for inspiration to base the project on were taken by me earlier this week.

Here is my inspiration:












Photos copyright ChristineMM, 2009. Taken at First Encounter Beach, Eastham Cape Cod, MA on 11/24/09.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You homeschool... you knit....

you're fantastic, thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts with the rest of us

Heather