Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!






Gozzi's Turkey Farm is an institution in Guilford Connecticut. It's always been there. All they sell is fresh turkeys. The place is mobbed. Since my childhood they have always dyed some pet turkeys in crazy colors. I have faint memories of visiting these turkeys as a child although I recall them being lovely pastel shades not neon brights.

This year we stopped at Gozzi's to pick up our pre-ordered turkeys while on the way home from Cape Cod.

My boys are too old now to care to see the colored turkeys, what they saw from the car was good enough. I went to snap some photos.

There were some parents of babies, toddlers and preschool aged kids there chatting away while their kids looked at the turkeys. An annoying set of girls would run up to the fence, scream with a horrid tone, loudly, at the turkeys, then run away. I found this highly annoying and remembered one thing I'm thankful to miss about not parenting a daughter is the screaming thing that little girls do.

Anyhow the turkeys hated it and one turkey in particular was not having it. It began screeching at her and then doing a big gobble-gobble. So it went like this. Girls ran up & screamed, turkey screeched back with a loud sound then did a big gobble-gobble, the girls screamed again as if in fear, then turned and ran away. Then a few seconds later the whole thing repeated.

I loved that turkey for standing his ground and for talking back to those annoying girls! So in the end I didn't mind their screaming (but still wished their gabby parents would have asked them to knock it off).

My husband then booted our sons out of the car and commanded them to go look at the turkeys. They walked over to the fence, looked in, and turned and left. When I got back to the car the kids were asking why the heck did the turkey farm dye these turkeys and proclaimed it a stupid thing.

We ate the turkey today and it was delicious, as usual. I credit four things for what makes a good turkey.

1. a quality fresh turkey

2. brining: dry brining is our new favorite thing

3. not overcooking the turkey, this is only avoided with use of a high quality internal thermometer such as our favorite digital Polder model

4. allowing the turkey to cool a bit before carving it, so all the juices don't run out if cut when hot

I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!

Photos copyright ChristineMM 2009, taken 11/24/09 in Guilford, Connecticut.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

As a mother who is contemplating homeschooling next year, I have enjoyed your blog. I too live in Fairfield County and was at this turkey farm Monday picking up our bird! Thankfully I did not have the experience with the children tormenting the turkeys.