Saturday, September 12, 2009

"A Common Case of Everyday Reality"

Some Americans need s shift in perspective about reality and life. Not everything ever will be perfect and things don't always go as planned.

I think the young in this country (teens and twenty-somethigns) are pretty wimpy as a whole. They have little tolerance for the slightest of inconveniences. When real problems, big problems hit, it surely will crush those people. It seems our culture has lost some our sense of resiliency. Perhaps by over-pampering this generation when they were children, they are ill prepared for real life. I say this because it seems to me that people seem less able to handle adverse situations. Add that to the fact that many people have upped the ante for "acceptable living conditions" and feeling entitled to luxury vacations and luxury cars that they can't even truly afford, and we have a problem on our hands.

I think that some people need to hear the message in this song. In this song, the problems in this man's life drove him to fall off the wagon and he is trying to get himself drunk to escape his problems. The friend who intervenes at the request of the man's wife reframed the man's problems as "a common case of everyday reality". I love that phrase.

Take a listen to this song if you don't already know it. Can you take something good away from hearing this today?



What is the worst thing happening in your life today? Is it really a big deal? Do you feel bad about that thing or do you instead think of the 99 other positive things happening and feel gratitude for them?

My biggest problem Thursday was I realized I'd run out of half and half for my coffee and had to use 1% milk instead, which tasted gross to me. Although I flinched when I drank it and didn't enjoy it much I didn't waste time thinking about it as a problem in my life. With that as my biggest problem that day, I felt very happy and didn't complain about that to anyone. Yesterday I had not one single problem to complain about. Today my biggest issue was that I realized the Wal Mart cashier forgot to give me a bag of stuff I bought yesterday so I had to make a special trip back there to pick it up.

Things like those are fodder for some Americans to bitch and moan about. You know what? I've dealt some serious issues in my life, big stuff, heavy stuff, and small beans stuff like that is a stupid waste of energy to complain or even thing about.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

2 comments:

Crimson Wife said...

Whenever I start feeling sorry for myself, I remember that my grandfather had to drop out of school at 13 when his father died and go to work in order to support his mom and younger siblings. Oh, and this was in the middle of the Great Depression.

That gives me a bit of perspective :-)

Rick said...

I TOTALLY agree! We have these young family neighbors who had some money saved up for a vacation to the Oregon coast and she was so happy they also had enough to for a mortgage payment for NEXT month. Then their pool filter blew out and their well water pump died. So what choice would they make, Oregon coast or back-up mortgage payment? Well, she came over and asked our son if he could water their plants while they were gone.

And right now I watch from my deck a group of high school kids (it's 5pm right now) who are quads out in the open field and ride around chasing each other, popping wheelies go over jumps etc... not a are in the world. And they do this EVERY single DAY!!! Parents paid for the quads, parents pay for the gas. It blows me away.