Tuesday, August 04, 2009

An American Girl Unit Study Exists!

When I saw the American Girl books I immediately thought that it would be great to do a history study with the books at the core.

I also then thought of how much I'd love to have a daughter so I could read her American Girl books and take her for tea and scones at the Manhattan American Girl store and buy her the lovely dolls. Alas, that is not in the cards for me.

My friend was showing me her homeschool plans for the upcoming year and showed me this unit study called "Portraits of American Girlhood". It is a 250 page book filled with activities and learning experiences molded around the American Girl books. According to the creator of it, it is designed for grades 2-5. My friend plans to do some of the work, picking and choosing what they do (not doing every single thing). The daughter is entering grade four and already loves the American Girl books.

One more thing I want to say about the American Girl books is they are ideal for readers who have issues with eye tracking problems. The large amount of white space on the page helps readers with visual processing disorders read the lines of text easier.

Here is one website that sells the product if you want to read more about it.

Note: I have no relationship with this company and this is not a paid advertisement.

1 comment:

Joi said...

How cool! We (dd & I) have just started to read the American Girl series. This would be perfect for her next year.

Thank you so much.