Sunday, May 31, 2009

A New Bird to Me




(double click to enlarge)

I was sitting writing at my computer and heard an atypical bird call. I jumped up to see if I could see it and it was perched right at the top of my holly bush. I grabbed my camera and tried to take a photo but it was not easy.

I identified the bird as a Gray Catbird, Dumetella carolinensis. I have never seen one before. The call was the 'mew call'. (You can hear the calls of this bird here.)

(I'm having a problem with my camera that I need to figure out. The image looks clear to my eye, with my contact lenses on but when the photo is taken the image is blurry. I have no clue what that is about. This only happens when using manual focus which I need for my 300mm zoom lens.)



Photos taken by ChristineMM on 5/16/09 in Fairfield County, Connecticut.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yay! Thanks for this post. I see these birds frequently, and I thought they were catbirds, but my bird book says they are mostly heard and rarely seen, so I figured I was wrong. I also played the "mew" call on the page you linked to, and realized that the sound I thought was the neighbors' squeaky swingset chain was actually the catbird's call!