Saturday, April 25, 2009

They Had the Gap Not My Kids




People worry that homeschoolers have gaps in their education. Some school teachers discuss this frequently.

We had to wait in a short line in order for my kids to have a turn going inside this rocket. However when my kids got in, they went in the opposite way of the other kids and adults. My kids knew the correct way the astronauts laid in the pod. Everyone else had it wrong. When I saw my kids arranging themselves in that way my husband commented that everyone else had it wrong but thought they were right. The ignorant ones had no clue of their ignorance.

It was a realization that this time around my homeschooled boys were the informed ones and the schooled kids and adults had a gap. I don't even recall how they knew this, from what book or lesson or what documentary, but the info was in their long term memory and it was put to use. (This photo was taken was before we entered the museum and saw or read any educational information.)

Photo taken by ChristineMM at the Kennedy Space Center in April 2009.

2 comments:

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

That is a great explanation of the whole problem with the concept that certain groups have learning gaps when compared to others!

I settle for saying to people who assert "homeschoolers have learning gaps" that everyone has learning gaps. If you compare one third grade class to another in the same elementary school, one class will have gaps compared to the others.

The issue is not one of gaps. The issue is: who is better equipped to fill in a gap when it becomes necessary? I'd bet on homeschoolers because the very environment encourages self-directed learning.

LivingByLearning said...

Learning gaps? Ha! I remember when my daughter was in 4th Grade, and I questioned what she was supposed to know about suffragettes. Her teacher was convinced that this topic had been covered well with a text book reading assignment, but my daughter had absolutely no recall of the subject.

It's all fast-paced, skin-deep learning. Very little sticks, especially as students are not engaged.

And that's even assuming that History and Science topics are covered in the rush to teach to the tests!