Thursday, March 19, 2009

Homemade Magazine Holders

I need some magazine holder boxes that let the magazines stand upright.

I have been looking at store-bought containers and am finding them for $4, $5, $10 and $20. The $20 ones were made of leather and were at T.J. Maxx (that is the discount price).

Call me cheap but even $4 seems like too much considering those lower priced ones are flimsy, thin cardboard. Even the $10 ones are garbage-y.

I hunted online (it took all of three seconds) and found this well written and highly visual tutorial for free on Instructables.com.

Homemade Cardboard Magazine Box

I would like them to look nice. I want to stand these up on top of some low height bookcases. They will be in plain sight. I am trying to figure out how I could adhere decorative fabric to these. I know I could use acrylic gel medium as the adhesive. The only thing I am unsure of is how to cut the fabric so it would adhere to the box after the box is constructed. Or perhaps I should adhere the fabric when it is nearly completed then assemble the thing with the fabric already on the exterior.

This is where my low ability with visualizing in three dimensions comes into play. I have a hard time thinking about things like that.

For the fabric I was reminded of the last time I was at a Joanne's Fabric store, how they had many nice remnants available, they were thick fabrics meant for window treatments or maybe even pillows or upholstery. There were a number of different coordinating colors, some stiped, some solids, and some plaids.

I could also pick out funky coordinating quilting fabrics. There are some wild colors and patterns now.

1 comment:

Miriam's Art Journal BLOG said...

I think I will use some of my big boxes to do this with my son...an empty box is so full of potential.....