Sunday, January 25, 2009

That State Worker Wasn't Tech Savvy

I recall hearing that state Department of Motor Vehicles would deny requests for vanity license plates if they thought the abbreviated word or phrase on the application was obscene, profane, or whatever else might offend someone.

In Connecticut our standard license plates have three numbers, a space, then three letters. That started in the 1980s, and my first car's letter series began with a D.

They are near the end of the alphabet now, apparently.

Today at the gas station the car in front of me was standard issue.

It had three numbers followed by:

WTF

Whoever allowed that series of plates obviously is not familiar with Internet chat, email chat, SMS or IM lingo. They must be old school and not tech savvy.

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that plate.

1 comment:

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

New Mexico has the same system, except it's three letters followed by three numbers. WTF would be perfect for me, because I feel like I'm thinking that at least 90% of my driving hours. I wonder if they've caught it?