Saturday, December 27, 2008

Is This the Latest Blog Comment Spam?

I am getting two or more comments a day on my blog that say this:

I came across your blog and have been reading along. I don't know what to say except I am enjoying reading your blog.


Then there is a link inside the comment to a website that has nothing to do with anything about my blog such as insurance, car loans, and so forth.

Since the comment text seems to be exactly the same and comes from all different website owners I'm wondering if this is some new spam computer program. I can't imagine a human sitting and inputting these one by one.

I do have the blogger comment moderation on and I do have a word verfification option.

I am rejecting all of these now, the first one or two squeaked by me.

3 comments:

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

I have gotten another type of comment that I wonder about: The comment came without a name--not even Anonymous. It was simply a link to a video of a dog enjoying the snow. But when you visit the link, you get not only the dog playing in the snow, but further links to a whole bunch of ads.

I posted it before I checked.

I will be checking from now on.

Brian said...

Yes, it's comment spam. That stuff is really the bane of all good bloggers. My philosophy is "when in doubt, toss it out." If someone truly has something of importance to say to you, they will post it again, with a name and a reason, next time.

Also, if you get the same comment, with the same wording more than once, odds are it's spam.

There must be some kind of way to block that on a blogger blog. I use wordpress, and there are lots of plugins that beat spam.

Good luck. Your blog is too good to be saturated with junk!

Brian (a.k.a. Professor Homunculus at http://MathMojo.com/chronicles)

Brian said...

Yes, it's comment spam. That stuff is really the bane of all good bloggers. My philosophy is "when in doubt, toss it out." If someone truly has something of importance to say to you, they will post it again, with a name and a reason, next time.

Also, if you get the same comment, with the same wording more than once, odds are it's spam.

There must be some kind of way to block that on a blogger blog. I use wordpress, and there are lots of plugins that beat spam.

Good luck. Your blog is too good to be saturated with junk!

Brian (a.k.a. Professor Homunculus at http://MathMojo.com/chronicles)