Thursday, August 21, 2008

Story of the World Audio Books Narrated by Jim Weiss

A friend called to ask me what I thought of the two Story of the World audio books, narrated by Jim Weiss that she knows that I own.

I know she has already read the books and likes them. So my response was, well you like the books, this is the same content and read by the wonderful Jim Weiss! Since she is already well acquainted with Jim Weiss’s excellent storytelling recordings, I know she likes his voice.

So without reviewing the books themselves, what can be said about these recordings other than they are typical excellent quality reads by Jim Weiss?

In our family I read aloud the Story of the World books to my children. Also now that my older son is capable, he is reading them to himself. We have listened to these over again while in the car, like an entertaining review of content. My kids have also listened to them while playing with LEGOs (while I was in another room).

The confusing thing for potential customers is that some of the Story of the World books were first read by another person and they are, let’s just say, not that great. So volumes one and two of the books were revised, and the revised versions were re-recorded by by Jim Weiss. The older versions are going out of print and only the Jim Weiss versions of volumes one and two are being sold, new, now. So when shopping for Story of the World audio books, if you want Jim Weiss readings, make sure you are ordering the correct ones. Note that today the older versions are being sold by third-party sellers on Amazon, so buyer beware.

Volumes three and four were only read by Jim Weiss so those are less confusing to shop for.

Additioanly while shopping on Amazon today I noted that one listing has an incorrect image of the product. Another of these as of today, does not state in the authors area, that Jim Weiss is the reader. I submitted a couple of requests for Amazon to update their catalog, we’ll see what happens.

In the meantime if you are planning out your homeschooling year and are in the market to buy Story of the World audio books, which are excellent to go along with the paper books, check out Amazon as they have the lowest price I can find and they do have all four volumes read by Jim Weiss in stock as of today.

Here are the ISBNs to help you find the Jim Weiss listings and also direct links to Amazon if you want to buy them now. If you buy these through my blog I thank you in advance for the commission I will earn from your purchase.

Here are the ISBNs for Jim Weiss read versions of Story of the World.

Story of the World Volume 1, revised, audio book, authored by Susan Wise Bauer, read by Jim Weiss (orange colored cover)


ISBN 13: 978-1933339047




Story of the World Volume 2, revised, audio book, authored by Susan Wise Bauer, read by Jim Weiss (blue colored cover). Note this one today has the book image on the product which is very confusing to me.

ISBN 13: 978-1933339122



Story of the World Volume 3, audio book, authored by Susan Wise Bauer, read by Jim Weiss (green colored cover)


ISBN 13: 978-1933339177



Story of the World Volume 4, audio book, authored by Susan Wise Bauer, read by Jim Weiss. (burgundy colored cover). Note today this one does not state in the author information, that Jim Weiss is the reader but the cover image of the product clearly shows it and the product description does say it is the audio book.

ISBN-13: 978-1933339030



Technorati Tags: , .

1 comment:

Corrine said...

This is very helpful. Thanks so much!