Monday, March 17, 2008

I’m Not in Hartford Today: SB162 Update

I’m not in Hartford today. Right now there is an Education Committee meeting going on at the Legislative Office Building at Connecticut’s capital. People were urged to attend the meeting to show support for SB162.

Hopefully SB162 will make it to the committee’s agenda today. If that does not make the agenda today, perhaps it will happen tomorrow which is their next Education Committee meeting. If the bill is not raised it will die in committee on March 19, 2008. I hope that SB162 does not die in committee.

I support SB162 in its original language. I have emailed all the members and co-chairs of the Education Committee to ask them to support SB162 and to put it on the agenda, to raise it and vote it out of committee. Only one legislator wrote back to me, stating she supported SB162. I later found out she became a co-sponsor of the bill.

I contacted my representatives by phone to ask for their support on SB162. I wanted them to know a constituent of theirs wants this matter addressed.

I am on day 15 of a head cold. It was pretty mild but now it has moved on to another stage. I have fluid in my ears and a sore throat. I have other signs it is now a sinus infection. I had a very busy weekend of one appointment after another and did too much running around. I am resting at home today; I am in no shape to go to Hartford as an activist today. I can’t go to the meeting tomorrow either as my son has a medical appointment we waited months to get.

I hope that people other than Judy Aron and Attorney Deborah Stevenson were able to be a presence at the Education Committee meeting today, and tomorrow if necessary.

You can read Judy Aron’s post about this Education Committee meeting on her blog, here.


CT - SB162 - Education Committee To Place Withdrawal Bill On Their Agenda

NHELD issued an announcement on 3/15/08 which you can read here, about SB162.

Technorati Tags: , , , .

3 comments:

Love 2B Homeschoolers said...

A disappointingly small group of us showed up.

Hope you are feeling well soon!

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Take care of your cold! 15 days--that's impressive.

I hope that the bill gets out of committee and can be acted upon. It will be good for Connecticut, and it will also be good for the rest of us to point out.

Judy Aron said...

I have an update
http://yedies.blogspot.com/2008/03/ct-sb162-withdrawal-bill-update-gaffey.html
and it isn't pretty.

Sen. Gaffey is planning on changing the language. We will encourage everyone to oppose this bill if it is changed and tries to amend 10-184.
Parents should be outraged.