Friday, January 18, 2008

Problems With Preschoolers and Kindergarten Students On The Rise (Social Problems)

Okay I just read this and my mind is reeling.

Article Title: What's Gotten Into
Kids These Days?

By: Sue Shellenbarger
Published on: January 17, 2008; Page D1
Published in: The Wall Street Journal

I have so much to say but I don’t have the time to put my thoughts down.

For now I’ll just refer you to read this and ponder it on your own.

Okay I can’t resist a couple of quick comments:

1. The problem is a “social problem” and some are labeling this as a “mental health” issue and suggesting that preschool teachers have access to mental health professionals as consultants to deal with the problems they are having in the classroom.

2. Brian C. Robertson’s book “Day Care Deception: What the Child Care Establishment Isn't Telling Us” analyzed thirty years of researched that clearly showed that an increase in the use of day care providers instead of children being raised at home in the early years with their own mothers was a known problem that was rising. Yet some right now as I write this are seeking to take children away from their mothers in order to force them into structured learning environments in public school preschool classes. Where is the logic?

3. David Elkind has outlined the reasons why formal preschool is not good for kids, and why kids need more time in those early years to be at home with their loving mothers being little kids. Why is no one listening to his information? You can read it in his book "Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk".

4. What is this world coming to?



Technorati Tags: , , , , .

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

That was an interesting article; we get the WSJ too and I read it yesterday. I have Daycare Deception and read it when my oldest was an infant; fascinating. The thing that I liked about the article though was that this type of information (kids do better with their parents) usually gets somewhat supressed so as not to upset anyone or lose readers.

christinemm said...

Jennifer thanks for your comment.

There is another thing at work here too regarding supressing. I read it in the preface to another David Elkind book, I think it was "The Hurried Child" in the preface to the 2nd edition/revised edition he said that people (not just newspapers or media) choose to ignore research that proves what THEY are doing or what they WANT to do is bad or not good. They also inflate and rely on the studies that reinforce what they WANT and LIKE. He notice that over and over, he said.

Maybe one day soon I'll quote him at length on that.

I recall when I read it I was really surprised that people would do that. The way my mind works is mine is open to hearing the truth and I want correct information then I'll adapt as necessary, even if it means I'm admitting to choosing to do something second best. However I guess not all people think like me. They have their agenda and they don't want to move off of that path. If the mom is only working because she wants to work (as some of my friends freely admit) they do not even want to hear or believe the research that shows that it might cause harm to their child.

Sigh.

The Not Quite Crunchy Parent said...

Great post.

Seems like two different issues here..can they be unhooked? One is early daycare - children away from family.

The second is pushing academically - reading and writing in preschool. I'd like to see these issues unhinged and analyzed separately.