Thursday, January 10, 2008

Added Listening To Our History Studies Today



I figured we needed a kick in the pants to get our history studies back on track.

I love the idea of my children studying history in a chronological manner three times in their homeschooling years, in three four year cycles.

However to be truthful I have not been able to keep up with it. We have been through so much in the last few years that frankly I think I’m more than qualified to write a book on living with crises, or at least, homeschooling through multiple crises and coming out not just alive but sane and medication free, oh, and still happily married.

So in these crazy times what has dropped for us is the history studies. And I refuse to beat myself up about it. There is no guilt here.

Well this week I decided that since audio books work so well in our family, if we had the Jim Weiss narrations of Susan Wise Bauer’s Story of the World playing over and over it would keep us interested and on track with history.

Although we’re technically half-way through with Volume Two we are listening to this whole thing. And I ordered Volume Three also.



We will read aloud other books to supplement these studies. We will do some crafts and activities. My children will narrate what they have listened to on the audio CD and what I read aloud to them. I might assign some independent reading for them on these topics too. They will probably do more coloring pages as they love that. And they will color the black line maps that are in the Story of the World Activity Book (I love the activity book and find it very easy and convenient to use, well worth the money).

Anyhow, I was thrilled to find that both of these audio books with Jim Weiss narrating were in stock and sold at a pretty good discount on Amazon. Nothing like free second day shipping. (I love Amazon Prime!)

When DHL dropped these at my door today I was thrilled. We began listening to Volume Two while we were tidying up the playroom together. Getting some history learned while decluttering and picking up toys is the type of multi-tasking I love.

Technorati Tags: .

No comments: