Friday, December 28, 2007

This Makes American Public Schools (or Americans In General) Look Bad

Okay I know this is not 'brand new news'. It is the first time I've had a chance to blog this though!



On YouTube I found this comment written by a resident of Europe (spellings and grammar were kept intact).

"Kellie Pickler thinks Europe is a country. Budapest? Hungary? She's never heard of these.

I wonder what she thinks about the whereabout of Germany, Italy, Spain, Luxemburg, Holland, Poland, Croatia, Bulgaria etc.

The peak of american education. She propably wouldn't be able to pass the 3rd grade here.

Moreover: there's an extra voice in the word Hun-ga-ry (hung'guh ree) contrary to hun-gry (hung'gree).
Learn that!"


All I can say is this is something like the third thing that made me think, "As a homeschooling mother I had better ramp up our study of geography lest I raise a geography-ignorant child".

Actually before I could do anything intentional the kids got out the talking globe and starting playing with the 'find a continent' and 'find a country' games. That will suffice for this week.

On next week's agenda is to revisit how we're studying geography and kick it up a notch, as Emeril would say.

I do love Kellie Pickler but this was painful to watch. My children and I voted for her when she was on American Idol and I am glad she is having success with her published music. But this video killed me, to be honest.

3 comments:

MacCárthaigh Family said...

I didn't see this video before. Did she finish school when she was young or did she somehow fall through the net and got lost in the system?

Love 2B Homeschoolers said...

< This Makes American Public Schools (or Americans In General) Look Bad >

Oh I don't think so, it just makes Kellie look bad. The 5th grader knew it, didn't he?

Sisterlisa said...

Well it certainly is a good thing she's a singer. can you imagine if she lost her talent? Oiy! What in the world would she do then? Is France even a country? pblt! Ok so she slept through geography right?