Monday, October 29, 2007

I’m Reading a Lot In This Last Week

Here is a list of what I’ve been reading in the last week. There are not full book reviews.

I have been reading more than usual and watching less television. Less television watching has made room for more reading, that's how I'm fitting this in.

Finished non-fiction parenting book: What’s Love Go To Do With It? Talking with Your Kids about Sex by John Chirban, PhD
Full book review coming soon.


Started and finished: Confessions of the the Guerilla Girls by the Guerrilla Girls


Re-read (for the third time) in the last two or three years: Clean, Naturally by Sandy Maine


Got from library and skimming four different books for beginners on printmaking techniques. I am dying to do some printmaking and am close to starting my first lino cutting project (I’m a bit scared to try it). I hope these books inform me and build my confidence level.

Started and finished: The City of Ember by Jeanne du Prau (juvenile literature). I met the author and her her speak at the Rabbit Hill Festival of Literature and was inspired to start reading the book Right Now. I am trying to decide if I’ll do this as a read-aloud or if I’ll have my older son read it to himself, perhaps soon.


Started Golden Legacy: How Golden Books Won Children’s Hearts, Changing Publishing Forever, and Became an American Icon Along the Way by Leonard S. Marcus. I heard Marcus speak last week at the Rabbit Hill Festival of Literature and was inspired to buy and read the book. I am always interested in the history of children’s books and of the history of the book publisihing industry. This book was published just a few days ago, by the way.



Started: The Charlotte Mason Study Guide, 10th Anniversary 2nd edition, secular edition, by Penny Gardner, e-book sent to me by the author. Book is available only in digital e-book format through the author’s website.

The Mythic Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers, 3rd edition, by Michael Vogel, Advanced Reading Copy obtained through Amazon Vine. This is long and has small font and will take me a while to read, I think. (The below link is to the 2nd edition.)



Read aloud, world history homeschooling: Leif the Lucky by Ingri and Parin D'Aulaire. A great book and great artwork. I plan to review through on online tutorial how stone litography is done and I am going to see if the Wilton Public Library (Connecticut) still is showing the original stone lithographs.



Family Read-Aloud, juvenile fiction, fantasy genre: Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper. The book is great, unfortunately I'm not reading it aloud daily so we're not blowing through the book.



Home Education Magazine, an issue that just came in the mail this week, November-December 2007. I am nearly finished with it. This magazine leaves me the most inspired and uplifted of all the homeschooling magazines and their coverage of important topics, especially the articles by the Kaseman’s are the best.



The Wall Street Journal, reading a bit here and there rather than automatically throwing it on the ‘to be read’ stack (and ignoring it). If you are a homeschooling family see if you can get the $99 per year student rate. We got our discount through a back door way, through participation in a competitive team designed for schools but that homeschoolers could do, then WSJ offered us a ‘student subscription’ designed for students in a classroom to use. However some homeschoolers I know found a way to subscribe online for $99 per year.

1 comment:

Rahul said...

Take a Break and try watching some books Browse our video book
reviews
and find out what real readers like you have to say about the books we read :)