Monday, October 29, 2007

Bluebirds Still Here (Photo of the Day)


I saw two Eastern Bluebirds two days ago, in my yard. I was really surprised as I thought they'd migrated south already. In the 2007 season, we had two pair of Eastern Bluebirds living in a dead tree near the border where the woods meets our lawn, on our property. I was surprised all summer to see the four together. I don't know why I assumed they would just hang out in pairs. They loved to perch on the swing set and hunt from there, flying down to catch a worm, then flying back up to a higher perch to eat it. We would often watch them while we were eating a meal at the kitchen table, which gives us a great view of the swingset.

The above photo was taken at the very beginning of the season, on the first day that I spotted a bluebird in our yard. When trying to photograph birds I have often wished for a long telephoto lens.

It is hard to photograph them as at the slightest noise or movement, such as the opening of a door, they fly to higher ground. Smart birds, but not so easy to photograph!

I consider casual birdwatching a part of 'learning science' and 'nature study' as we go about our 'regular lives'.

2 comments:

Dana said...

We had four blue birds take up residence at our bird bath last December and then disappear for the winter. I was surprised to see them, but now I am guessing they were birds from further north making a stop over on their way south.

It was neat. The blue birds rarely come into our yard or to our bath. We always just watch them in the field behind our house as they "hawk" for insects.

The Glasers said...

I am so jealous. When we lived behind Pike's Peak, we had mountain bluebirds nest in our yard every spring. They were such a treat to see! Yeah, I still appreciate the cardinals, mockingbirds, bluejays, etc. around here, but I miss the bluebirds.