Friday, October 19, 2007

Beef Barley Soup Recipe by ChristineMM

ChristineMM’s Beef Barley Soup

Ingredients

2 lb. beef stew meat, diced small, or ground beef

1 c carrots, diced small
1 c celery, diced small
6 c chicken stock or broth, homemade or organic store bought or low-sodium
6 c beef stock or broth, homemade or organic store bought or low-sodium
6.5 oz. pearl barley
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Brown ground beef or diced beef stew meat, and drain fat off. Place paper towels on a plate and put the cooked meat on top of the paper towels. Put aside.

Sautee vegetables in olive oil until soft.

Add drained ground beef to vegetables and stir. Immediately add stocks/broths and barley and stir.

Simmer for 30 minutes. At this point the meat, vegetables and barley should all be cooked and tender. If not, cook longer until everything is fully cooked and tender.

Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Comments:
1. If you want to cut more fat out, use beef or chicken stock or broth to sauté instead of the olive oil.
2. If you prefer to use bouillon cubes instead, use 4 beef and 4 chicken bouillon cubes and 3 quarts of water. I prefer the taste of the stocks.
3. If you use store bought stocks or broths, watch the salt content. I find some so salty they are inedible to me.
4. If you make the stocks at home you can use organic beef and poultry.
5. I like Pacific brand broths, the chicken is “free range”. I don’t think they are too salty. Trader Joe’s sells them at more than $1 under the regular retail price. They are sold in aseptic packs not in aluminum cans.
6. I have not tried this with 100% beef stock/broth but if you prefer that, give it a try.
7. I make this in large batches, divide into single serving sizes and freeze.

I adapted the original recipe from one that appeared in “Cooking With Mickey Gourmet Mickey Volume II” which is a collection of recipes from the Walt Disney World gourmet food restaurants.



Why do I own a cookbook about Disney restaurants you may wonder? When I got married I began a regional cookbook collection of places that I traveled to or that my husband traveled to when he went away on business. Sometimes the cookbook was for that state and sometimes it was from a specific restaurant that he went to for a business meeting. This cookbook was a gift from him to me for the cookbook collection.

No comments: