Saturday, August 25, 2007

New Homeschooling Magazine: Secular Homeschooling

The publisher of a new magazine called “Secular Homeschooling: contacted me by email after reading my blog and my opinions of Home Education magazine (HEM).

She wanted to let me know she is starting a new magazine Secular Homeschooling. The first issue will be published in October 2007. The magazine’s website gives this description:
Secular Homeschooling is a non-religious magazine that reflects the diversity of the homeschooling community. Its readers and writers are committed to the idea that religious belief is a personal matter rather than a prerequisite of homeschooling.
This magazine is for any homeschooler, religious or not, who is interested in good solid writing about homeschooling and homeschoolers.


I was also told that is not an unschooling-only magazine. It will feature topics like “teaching history” etc. (If you want a magazine that is basically ‘all unschooling’ check out “Life Learning”. If you want a magazine that has more of an overall unschooling flair and definitely not ‘school at home’ content check out “Home Education magazine” (HEM).

Here is the site of the new magazine Secular Homeschooling if you want more information about this new publication.

They are also accepting submissions for articles for publication.

I have not seen a copy or read a copy of this new homeschooling magazine yet. I am curious to see what it is like.

Technorati Tags: , , , ./

3 comments:

Shawna said...

Me too!

I subscribed to what I thought was a homeschooling magazine and it turned out to be extremely religious and full of advertising...I was very offended by some of what I read, inspired by some, but definitely not happy that I had financially supported such a publicayion.

christinemm said...

Shawna I think I subscribed to the same publication you are referencing!

Dare I speak its name??

Thank you for all of your comments and feedback!

jean z said...

I am a homeschooler of a 9yo girl and 8yo boy, and have been quite put off by the heavy hitter protestants in our area. Good to see there are other middle of the road homeschoolers out there.