Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Americans’ Book Reading Habits, I’m In the 5% Category

My friend K. emailed me the link to this article which reveals a survey of Americans that says that 1 in 4 people did not read a single book last year. How sad is that?

"The survey reveals a nation whose book readers, on the whole, can hardly be called ravenous. The typical person claimed to have read four books in the last year — half read more and half read fewer. Excluding those who hadn't read any, the usual number read was seven."


The article also reports that book sales were ‘flat’ last year.

The article gives other statistics about who is reading what kind of book, which I found interesting. Here is just one quote about who is not reading.

"Who are the 27 percent of people the AP-Ipsos poll found hadn't read a single book this year? Nearly a third of men and a quarter of women fit that category. They tend to be older, less educated, lower income, minorities, from rural areas and less religious."


I am in the 5% category, as my most frequent type of reading is non-fiction. Now I feel more alternative and weirder than ever. I need to remind myself that I am alternative and different in a GOOD way.

Article Title: One in four read no books last year
By: Alan Fram, AP Writer
Published by: Yahoo! News
Article Date: August 21, 2007

Technorati Tags: , , , , .

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Sounds like a very interesting article!

My reading habits are feast or famine...but I always read, and at least 4-7 books a year, not to mention magazine and newspaper articles galore. I cannot imagine a life without reading ~ seems sad and lonely to me.