Thursday, July 26, 2007

Finished Reading Harry Potter #7

NOTE: DOESN'T CONTAIN SPOILERS----

I stayed up late to finish "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" last night. I carved out a large part of yesterday to read it during the day. After a zillion interruptions due to normal life with children I was l onging forthe "good old days" when I could just sit uniterrupted and read in peace. The book was at a fast pace to a point where going to bed with the story unfinished was futile.

So at 11:58 p.m. I read the very last page of the book. I didn't want the story to end so I read all the end notes (about the font design etc.), before lifting my eyes.

I was right about three predictions that I had. I had no ideas about the overall plot though so I can't say I predicted the general storyline. My older son was partially right about one very odd prediction he made which I thought was from left field when I first heard it.

The story got so much better and more complicated in this book which made it more exciting for me to read. I doubt if younger children like my seven year-old will be able to understand the complicated plot line (without an adults explanation). I loved how the elements from past books which seemed back then to be "isolated incidents" were interwoven to link them even more closely together to "make sense" in a much "bigger picture" sense.

I left the book wanting to go back and re-read every single book all in a row. The only other time I've experienced that is with the Chronicles of Narnia series.

In light of my recent viewing of the movie version of book #5 which I blogged about already, I did keep thinking, as I was reading, of how this would translate to a movie version. First, to do it justice they had better make it a long movie--we true fans won't mind a three hour epic, believe me, if that is what it takes to do right by the story. My non-spoiler thoughts are that this movie, if done closely to the book, would look like a true horror movie with all the bloodshed and suspense and fear, and with being so surrounded by death and murderous killings.

My older son has slowed down on his reading of the book and is at about page 425 (I now realize that is at a slow point in the story so I don't blame him). My younger son finally took it upon himself to start reading the book to himself yesterday but has only read one chapter so far.

I have copies of the audio book on hold at two public libraries. I can't wait to hear the wonderful narration of Jim Dale tell this story as soon as the copies become available.

The story was also so complex that another reading done right now would be a good idea. I'm not quite ready to let the story go so perhaps listening to the audio book as a family or another independent reading is in order.

If you are a Harry Potter fan I hope you enjoyed or are presently enjoying the book!

2 comments:

SeniorPM said...

Hey,

Rowling cleverly illustrates the cunning and deceptive, power-hungry nature of evil. Thru beautiful, genius story telling, she lays out a scenario whereby an average boy is presented with, but resists, quite humanly, power, revenge and evil. All without religion, brainwashing or dogma. It is through love, loyalty, goodness, reverence of life, understanding, forgiveness--brought forth by the experiences and hard-won lessons of a seasoned, well-loved mentor. A classic.

... hopefully there will be a way to continue this series with a new one... unless her imagination is now over :)

Regards,
http://harry-potter.sufx.net

Framed said...

Rowling did an interview on Dateline the other night and it didn't sound like she was going to add to the series. But she did tell what happened to some of the main characters 19 years later. Very interesting.