Sunday, May 27, 2007

Currently Reading: The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak



While at a used book sale held by Friends of a public library last week I saw a book for sale which immediately caught my eye. The book was in a stack of books in the Young Adult section. The book is hardcover and was in like-new condition. The title, of course, caught my eye and when I realized that the book is about the power of reading I had to buy it.

I ahd never heard of the book before. Of the 100 books I bought that day this was the one that I felt I needed to read right away, for me, for enjoyment. I was hooked right on the first page.

I’ve been reading it each night before bed and am on about page 100 at this point. I need my sleep and so far have convinced myself to put the book down and to go to sleep, although it has kept me up past midnight on some nights.

I wanted to know a little more about the book. I found out online that the book was originally published in Australia in 2005 as a book for adults. It was then published in America in 2006 and marketed to children as a young adult novel (grade 9 and up according to the publisher, Knopf).

Since I haven’t finished the book yet I can’t do a review of it yet.

I have read only a couple of the Amazon customer reviews as I am afraid that some may give the story away and I don’t want a plot spoiler.

I’ll share that the story is interestingly told in the third person with the narrator being Death!

Some of the passages are so well written that I actually have been marking them in pencil. I may share these quotes with you a la Mental Multivitmin style.

So far what I can say to you is that if you are a lover of books go and read this book! So far all I can see is that this book is loved by its readers so that says something.

Here is the official website for The Book Thief if you want more information.

Update 6/05/07: I am over page 450. It is rivoting now, nearing the end, it seems to not be close to the end of the story but the pages are running out. I'm at the point where I need to know what happens and am losing sleep and carving out time during the daytime to read it. That is the sign of a very good book in my opinion!

Update 6/26/07: I blogged a short entry after finishing the book here:
I Did Finish “The Book Thief”

On 6/26/07 I blogged a long summary of my thoughts, impressions and opinions here:
Thoughts on "The Book Thief and Ethnic Cleansing"

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , .

4 comments:

For The Love Of Learning said...

Thanks for the book review. After telling my 14 yo about it, my daughter got it out of the library today.

Maureen
Trinity Prep School

Carrie said...

Don't you just love library book sales?

This particular book is sounding better and better with each review I've read of it.

Framed said...

I absolutely love this book. I read it in April or May. You can read my review after you finish the book if you'd like. I'd love to compare notes.

N.Vasillis said...

Hey, Christine! I'm reading The Book Thief right now. I'm at page 507. I felt panicky when I realized that the number of pages I have left are so few. I'm so scared that the end might be bad for Liesel that I'm thinking about not finishing it! I'm glad that someone else loves this book too.