Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Embedded Deer Tick Photos (Photographed By Me)

I decided to share these photos that I took of an embedded female deer tick which I found on my son in November 2006. The Latin name for the Deer Tick is Ixodes scapularis and it is also called the black legged tick. Note the reddish body on the female. This type of tick is a carrier of the bacteria that causes Lyme Disease.

Here is a picture of the embedded deer tick near my son's clavicle bone.



Note the local irritated area surrounding it, it is my opinion that this is not the 'bulls-eye rash' but is the local irritation after the tick has been embedded and biting the person. This one was easy to spot on our routine tick check.



***Double click on any photo to enlarge it.***



This image clearly shows the female deer tick with the reddish body. It is attached at the mouth at approximately 7:00, the mouth is down near the black body part. The reddish part of the body is the back of the tick's body. Here I am trying to show the size of the Deer Tick by comparing it to a common pencil which was just sharpened.

This is an insect site (Bug Guide) that shows more images of the deer tick.




Here is a photo taken with the flash shut off, you can see the red irritation a bit more here. The red irritated area was hard to see when the flash was on. The problem with using no flash was that the photo was blurry due to my movement while snapping the photo.

I am sharing these photos to help anyone who is trying to learn more about Deer Ticks or Lyme Disease.

If you are looking for a good book for beginners about Lyme Disease or other tick-borne illnesses, I recommend "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease and other tick-borne disorders" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner. (I hope to do a book review on that book soon.)


UPDATE 11/5/08: For more photos, see my blog post dated November 2008 for photos of a female adult deer tick which is embedded and engorged; that tick was verified by the State of Connecticut Agricultural Station and also tested positive for the spirochete that causes Lyme Disease.

Technorati Tags: , , , , .

2 comments:

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar ™ said...

You have to check for ticks regularly?

christinemm said...

Yes we have to check for ticks every single time we go outdoors.

In 2006 on November 30th, my sons went to play on the swingset for 20 minutes and came in. A while later I saw something on my son's face, it was an embedded tick in his cheek! I couldn't believe that in just 20 minutes at that time of the year a tick got onto my kids.

CT used to test the deer ticks to see how many were infected with the bacteria that causes Lyme Disease. In my town the rate was 33% which is much higher than some other CT towns.

Also we have a high deer population here due to water company land and woods and the restrictions on hunting them here. I wish they would open the water company land to rifle shooting but so far they only let them use bows. We have a very serious overpopluation problem here and some have a mange disease and are dying a slow death. One in my road last week had the horrid mange. Very sad.