Saturday, December 30, 2006

Recipe: Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti

Right now I am baking these Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti to bring to a family brunch.

I thought that biscotti would be a nice alternative to the usual brunch fare. Also they store longer than fresh cakes and pastry so they will be able to be eaten by the hostess for a little while longer than the rest of the baked goods, that is, if there are any leftovers.

The biscotti turned out great. First we tried them without having dipped them in chocolate. If you are looking for a cookie taste, these are bitter in comparison, but I think they are what biscotti is supposed to be! I've not tried this exact recipe before.

As with anything the main flavor will vary depending on the quality of the ingredients. I would suggest using the best cocoa that you can find, and definately not using old cocoa that has been on the shelf for years (as my mother has in her house).

After letting the biscotti cool I did the chocolate coating. I changed it to semi-sweet chocolate. I also found that I needed double (or more) than the recipe called for. I used a spoon to help coat the biscotti and didn't put much on the side that was to lie flat on the sheet (to harden).

They are delicious if you like the taste of hazlenuts and chocolate!

(Since they have no butter or fat in the biscotti itself this is a good way to get a little chocolate or sweet taste satisfaction without the fat content.)

(We buy our hazlenuts at Trader Joe's for a decent price.)

Technorati Tags: , , , .

2 comments:

msantos3 said...

Christine,

Thanks for the recipe. I made scones and biscotti over the holidays. The Scone recipe was from joyofbaking.com. The recipe is called "Creme Scones". They are out of this world!!! The biscotti recipe I have used for years is from epicurious.com and is "Biscotti". This recipe calls for pistachios and almonds.
I will try your Chocolate Hazelnut recipe when I get my hands on the hazelnuts!
I freeze the scones and biscottis when I make a lot and they keep even longer!!

Maryann

Birdie said...

Sounds yummy! Too bad I'm diabetic. sigh.

Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and wish you and your family the happiest and most blessed new year yet, and to let you know how much I have enjoyed reading your blog in the old year!