Tuesday, October 24, 2006

More Buzz on Upcoming Dr. Phil Homeschooling Show About Homeschooling and Unschooling

The buzz on the Internet is growing about the upcoming Dr. Phil show on homeschooling which is said to also feature a self-labeled ‘radical unschoooling’ family. Apparently the title of the show is “Great School Debate”. The show is supposed to air on October 27, 2006 however I can’t find verification of that on Dr. Phil’s official site. (Right now it states “New Orleans Scam?” is slotted for October 27, 2006.)

The leaks about the content of the show are coming from the homeschooling families who were invited to participate in the show, were aired in their homes and also were in the audience.

Note one states the homeschooling families were told that no one under the age of 18 could be in the audience with the parents, however, there were minor aged school children in the audience.

Here are some articles.

This article on Local HS.com is very long and tells a lot of details about the upcoming show and this homeschool mother/audience member’s experience.

Spunky Homeschool

Considering Homeschooling

Why Homeschool

If you know of any more buzz feel free to leave it in my comments section!

For the record I enjoy Dr. Phil overall but have disagreed with some of his opinions on parenting very young children, breastfeeding, mothers and employment vs. mothers at home (and the lack the option of the sequencing concept) and co-sleeping. Based on these reports it seems that I will disagree with him on homeschooling.

Technorati Tags: , , , .

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Thanks for the info - I wasn't aware of this.

Spunky said...

Carrie Lynn a guest of the upcoming show left a comment on my blog. (Today's post.) She was told the show would air on Oct. 27 or be notified. She hasn't been notified about any change in the schedule but for some reason it doesn't show up on the schedule. Very strange.

Daniel Macintyre said...

I heard a rumor that they moved the air date to the day after thanksgiving, but I can't verify that.

Dayna said...

(this is a copy, used with permission from the author)

Hello everyone,

The "The Great School Debate" is listed on Dr. Phil for Friday. www.drphil.com

You can watch a little video teaser and visit the message boards which are already buzzing. The clip they show is the most intense Dr. Phil ever gets with me. The actual show was not as adversarial as they portray it to be.

It's been challenging working through all the emotions involved in this experience. At first, right after the taping, I heard the opinions of the homeschoolers in the audience and I began to doubt myself. I got really nervous about the final outcome because of the extreme in which we were portrayed.

Once some time went by my true feelings began to bubble to the surface, which were that of authentic happiness. I just feel good about it, even when I watch the teaser with Dr. Phil 'going off' on me! I guess because I know he just doesn't understand this perspective and if he really ever took the time too, he would probably feel differently. I kind of feel bad for him actually, because I do not think he looked very good on the show.

Our goal in taking part in the show was different than the goals voiced to us by most of the homeschoolers in the audience. When we made the final decision to go to L.A., I was personally most looking forward to having the privilege and the opportunity to advocate for Children's Rights and Respectful, Peaceful Parenting, not just homeschooling, like most of the other speakers there. I feel like my mission was fulfilled! We got the word out there with some new ideas and perspectives that will hopefully make the lives of other parents and children better! I have no regrets.

To me, Dr. Phil's questions and beliefs just represent and speak for the greater majority of our culture. It was so amazing to be able to share this perspective, even in the face of adversity! Honestly, it was exhilarating and I really enjoyed the actual experience because I enjoy debating something that I am so passionate about, my children and the respect that they and other children deserve in life.

Regardless of Dr. Phil's opinion, I feel that by being on the show we helped to get some gears turning toward change. Baby steps. The first reaction to a new idea is adversity. I did my best to smile in the face of it because I trust the process. Acceptance of our lifestyle will slowly brighten our culture. I am proud to be part of this amazing community.

Here is the link to the message boards. What an awesome way to get our views into the mainstream!

http://www.drphil.com/messageboard/topic/2030/


~Peace & Love, Dayna