Thursday, September 28, 2006

Few Comments On Colorado School Gunman Incident

Some homeschooling parents cite lack of safety in public schools as a reason to not send their child to school. To be honest it is not one of my top reasons for homeschooling my children. These types of crimes are pretty rare when you consider the number of students attending schools in America vs. the number who are seriously physically injured or murdered in horrible incidents such as this one.

Here is one article on yesterday’s incident from Forbes.

I chuckled at the use of slang in this quote:

Jessica Montgomery, 15, said she saw the suspect in a second-floor hallway shortly before noon. She described him as "creepy," with acne and stubble on his face. He motioned her to come over.

"I was like, 'the bell just rang,'" she said. "I was like, 'Why isn't he going to class?' And then I was like, 'He's kind of old.'"


Here is another article from The Independent.

Cell phones and text messaging came in handy for this student and his family:

Bill Twyford said he received a text message from his 15-year-old son, Billy, a student at the high school, at about 11:30am It said: "Hey there, there's a gun hijacking in school right now. I'm fine, bad situation though."


And if you think that horrible crimes only happen in cities, you are wrong as this happened in a suburb. Check out this quote from one mother.

Husen's family moved to Bailey from suburban Denver about 14 years ago.
"We moved up here for the mountain solitude, and I just never thought this would happen in this school, but it happens everywhere," she said.


There are over 1100 articles on Google News right now on this story so if you have the time and desire you can probably spend all day reading articles about this horrible incident.

Although school safety for big crimes and murders is NOT a reason that I homeschool. I am very concerned about bullying and smaller incidents. I am also more concerned about student to student sexual molestation in school or on the bus. But I will admit that right now I am happy that my kids are homeschooled and not spending their day in a school building where a crime may occur.

Technorati Tags: , , , , .

No comments: