Sunday, July 23, 2006

Delicious Buffalo Mozzarella at Costco

We usually use fresh mozzarella cheese made daily at a local Italian cheese shop (made from cow’s milk). That shop’s fresh cow milk mozzarella is far superior to what is sold at the big chain grocery stores, which we find has an odd off-flavor and is not always fresh. Some shops allow customers to access the bins with the cheese in it and I worry about the sanitary conditions with that. (I won’t mention the name of that grocery store chain!)

My husband was very surprised to find fresh buffalo mozzarella at Costco, of all places (imported from Italy). The prices averages to $10 per pound. The price for fresh buffalo mozzarella at other local shops is $26 per pound (way out of our price range).

We have been buying one package per week or one every ten days or so and have been enjoying it immensely. Eating fresh buffalo mozzarella is a special treat and we are not used to having access to it at such low prices, so we can’t resist it…it melts in the mouth!

If you enjoy fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese and you are a Costco member I suggest you see if your local Costco carries it!

Technorati Tags: , , , , .

3 comments:

Aunt Fred said...

Thank you for this information! Ever since we got back from Italy I have been trying to find Buffalo Mozzarella and no one sells it. I will try Costco!

sb said...

"Some shops allow customers to access the bins with the cheese in it and I worry about the sanitary conditions with that. (I won’t mention the name of that grocery store chain!)"

Are you serious? The cheese is sealed in air-tight packaging right?

ChristineMM said...

Hi sb, As I said in the post I love the Costco buffalo mozz. Yes it is sealed in a package.

I was talking in the other part about grocery stores who sell it in open bins. That was in CT and I see they sell it that way in some TX grocery stores as well. It's like a salad bar where everything is out in the open and you serve yourself then pay by the pound. They also have olive bars with expensive olives. I have seen this also in health food stores.