Monday, June 26, 2006

Blog Entry About a Teacher Quitting

Thanks to a post on Why Homeschool I was directed to this teacher’s blog entry, Mrs. W. The blog told of her first year teaching, and her year ended with her resignation in the post I just linked to. In this entry, she tells of feeling that in her teaching job (public school) she was working without practicing integrity. I find this an interesting blog entry and the comments are also worth reading.

So for everyone who wants to think American public schools are so wonderful I wish you would listen to those who work in them and with your children. Here is a quote from one comment from Mike:

Reality check: While we claim to be for high standards and academic excellence, we are, at best, for solid mediocrity. By we, I mean our educational system as a whole.


I don’t want mediocrity for my children. We are still on the homeschooling path and happy about it.

When pressed for more details about why this teacher gave a passing grade for a plagarized paper this is the response from Mrs. W:

...if I were to give you the details of everything, I think you would understand better. However, please understand my need for some degree of anonymity. If you want to e-mail me privately, I'll be happy to tell you more.

But, in a nutshell, the grade could and would be changed without my approval.


I believe this and have heard other stories about administrators overriding the grades the teachers gave for various reasons, from teacher friends and relatives that I have.

Here is an earlier post by Mrs. W about why she became a teacher in the first place. Note she was on the corporate path before switching gears to do something ‘more meaningful’.

Ah, she was in the camp of “wanting to make a difference in a child’s life”, one of those.

I am sorry that she is disappointed to realize that teaching won’t achieve that.

I wish Mrs. W will find a well-paying job that is at least palatable if not rewarding and inspiring and joyful! Really I do! (Since private tutoring of homeschooled children seems to be on the rise perhaps she could check out that career path?)

2 comments:

Scott W. Somerville said...

The more we homeschoolers tune in to what public school teachers deal with, the more we will (a) pray for them and (b) thank God for our own homeschools!

(Both of which are good things. Thanks for your post reminding me to read more teacher blogs!)

Henry Cate said...

It was interesting (and sad) to me how some of the others in the comments agreed with Mrs. Wat that cheating and grade inflation often happened.