Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Mom’s Blog Statistics as Homeschooling Geography Lesson

This morning I was excited to see that my blog had its 10,000th visitor.

I decided to see what locations they came from. My free Site Meter service tracks the locations of the last 100 visitors.

I asked my boys to get a magnetic map puzzle of the Unites States of America from the closet. I had them empty the puzzle. I then explained that I’d read off the state name and then they were to find the piece and put it on the puzzle where it belonged.

As I went down the list I called off the state name. I did call off duplicate names and let them find and realize that it was already place on the map.

We had a problem as the first puzzle we used clumped some states together. I asked them to switch to another puzzle/game which didn’t do that.

They had fun doing this little project. Perhaps in these small ways some of the U.S. Geography or state names will sink in. I am embarrassed to confess that although I did memorize all 50 state names in fourth grade I am not confident that I could name them off right now. I also was never forced to memorize the U.S. map and I don’t know where all the states are located, even now. I am slowly memorizing some as I do puzzles and games with my children.

My older son asked if he could mark on our world map, the locations of the countries other than the USA which visited my blog.

Here were the results of the last 100 visitors to my blog earlier today, in alphabetical order:

Countries (6)
Australia
Canada
England
France
Sweden
United States

States within America (28)
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Nevada
New Jersey
North Carolina
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
Texas
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia

Plus Washington D.C.

I am surprised that not all of the New England states were represented, neither was New York state. Why are my neighbors not reading my blog?

Anyway, this was fun for all of us. My children were most surprised that I had readers from Hawaii (was that you, Palm Tree Pundit?) and Alaska.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , .

1 comment:

Henry Cate said...

Congratulations on hitting the 10,000 mark. Your homeschooling exercise using Site Meter is a great idea.

Keep on blogging.