Thursday, July 14, 2005

Feeling Unproductive

Feeling unproductive is one of the worst feelings for me to experience. It is a downer for me. To me, feeling unproductive happens when I have a lot to do but just can’t seem to get even one task 100% finished. I hate this feeling and am experiencing it right now.

My most productive feeling times are when I work on one project at a time. I may have ten non-urgent projects to do, but I focus on one and do that in all the possible spare time I have. I also make plans and appointments around finishing up those projects, putting the project as a priority. Then when the one project is done, I feel a little sense of accomplishment and move on to the next. I say I feel only a little sense of accomplishment because I have that perfectionist voice nagging at me, “well you did one thing but still there are nine things waiting, that you weren’t able to do”.

Other than a great day at the amusement park with my children, this has been an unproductive week. The downer about feeling this way is that when I look around all I see is the undone things. I find it hard to appreciate the things that are good. For example right now I feel like my bedroom has become clutterville and am frustrated with that but am not thinking any positive thoughts at all about the wonderful looking and clutter-free family room (since we cleaned that up yesterday).

I have learned in the past that gratitude is an attitude booster and a producer of good feelings. I need to get back on the track of feeling grateful for what I have and what is done and good and not to focus too much on the undone and what we don’t have.

As a homeschooling mother and a mother-at-home with two active young children, there is always a lot to do and a lot to clean up and the “to do” list is never ending. It is important for all mothers and all homeschooling mothers to cut themselves some slack, not be too hard on themselves, and to try not to sweat the small stuff. I am writing this in an attempt to get my own thinking back on that track!

1 comment:

Me213 said...

Ack! {{hugs to ya}} I can so relate to you...I too am a perfectionist at heart and it is SO hard sometimes to just let go of things that are not 'truly' important.

Hang in there mama!